Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Numbers

The web has gone rabid over the whole Abercrombie and Fitch debacle. I don't need to rehash it much. Weirdly unattractive CEO cites exclusionary reasons for not making XL sizes for women. There was the requisite backlash, some well-written responses.

But since it is a brand for teens, and since I write YA and middle-grade fiction, and since I speak at schools and am the writer-in-residence at a  high school, I spend a lot of time thinking about being a teenager--and I have contemplated this whole PR explosion. And while I find the CEO strangely creepy . . . and his comments obviously unkind, I actually feel like he is so obviously a jerk that his comments didn't bother me very much. They are almost cartoonishly ugly. No, what bothers me much, much more are real-world situations with women and size, the insidious ways women themselves send the message to other women and young girls--and themselves--that they are a number.

A dress size.

A set of digits on a scale.

Every single day--every day--on my FB feed, I will see at LEAST one woman write as a status some variation of: "I ate a cupcake and feel gross--looks like I'll need to hit the treadmill for two hours tonight after work" or "I just ate a Hershey bar and feel SO guilty. I had been doing so good on my diet.#FAIL." Those are the obvious ones. Then there are the status updates about diets and trainers and hip sizes and waistlines and skinny jeans and fat jeans.

What message does that send to our young girls?

I feel like I know this firsthand in an extreme way, in a way that has stunned me more than once recently in particular. For years, thanks to steroid treatment for Crohn's (first-line treatment, before biologics, is often prednisone, which has a side effect of rapid weight gain), I carried on me an extra twenty pounds, easy. Because I am very tall, close to six-feet with my cowboy boots on, I could carry it OK. A size 14. Not a "small" woman because of my height. I also had a baby after 40--the now somewhat infamous Pirate Boy. And so the "baby" weight remained as stubbornly as the "prednisone" weight. I frankly never cared. I had a healthy baby. And since all my pregnancies were extremely high risk--and since I had lost a baby before I had him . . . pounds were insignificant. I created a LIFE, people. One look at his dimples and my brain turned to mush. "Fat jeans? What fat jeans?"

Then two years ago this June, the Crohn's disease that has plagued me since my twenties came out of remission in a BIG, splashy, show-stopping, miserable way. It attacked my eyes for the first time. It attacked my joints. I haven't slept through the night in two years because of joint pain. Some days, I literally hobble to the shower, turn on the hot water so no one hears me sobbing, and climb in, hoping it loosens things up enough that I can get through the day. And in the last two years, I've lost, as of this morning, about 55 pounds.

I've dropped 6 sizes or so.

And women--not men, but WOMEN--say things like, "Is Crohn's contagious? Because I'd love to have it for three or four months." They're joking, so I don't take it personally. But really?

Picture the last time you had food poisoning. The clutch-your-gut, doubled-over-agony kind. That's Crohn's. Ten times a day--on a good day. Fifteen on a bad day. Add joint pain so bad you feel like someone is stabbing you in your hips, your knees, your ankles. Thanks to prednisone, you ruptured the tendon in your right leg, so any time you walk for long, that leg aches. Your vertebrae are bone on bone. The prednisone that you took at age 28 is now destroying you like the Wrath of Khan. Your fingers are frozen in the morning, so that you can't even open your childproof medicine bottles without pain. Your eyes are blurry and burn. I could go on, but I'll spare you the details. You DON'T want this disease, ladies. Not even for three months so you can drop a dress size. Yes, I can eat cookies every night. But no, cookies in NO WAY make up for the pain.

But more than that . . . why are women so fixated on a number? No man has ever jokingly asked if he could rub my arm and get Crohn's disease for a couple of months. Not once. Women I find utterly BEAUTIFUL, but who might carry a few pounds, fixate on their pants size. I want to--and DO--tell them, "You have your HEALTH, so enjoy. You are gorgeous!!"

At the end of your life, we all know that line that no one is going to say, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office." They're also not going to say, "I am so sorry I had dessert. I wish I'd turned down the cheesecake."

Life is too short not to have the cheesecake.

And yes, I do understand that we are facing an obesity epidemic in this country. So it is about moderation. While I joke about eating cheesecake (and really, I'm from NY, so I don't ever joke about real NY-style cheesecake, but I digress), my disease makes eating difficult. I eat very, very small meals, if at all. And so the heaping portions, enough for three people, that I see at restaurants for ONE person kind of make me queasy. But for me, it's all about being at peace with the food you eat. Eating when you are hungry. Stopping when you are full.

I also do know there is fat-hatred in this country. I used to follow a fitness guru on social media. One day, she posted the Dove plus-size real beauty ad as an example of "thin-shaming."(Who knew?) Suddenly dozens of women chimed in that they were very thin and were sick of people commenting on their thinness, when no one would comment on being a bit plump (which I disagree with--people DO comment on plus-size, but no matter). I commented that I think the point behind the ad was media misrepresentations of real women, and unrealistic expectations for our daughters--body sizes that are not attainable in post-pubescents without extreme dieting, for example. The claws came out. The guru, rather shrilly, said the campaign was a fake and she wanted to see "stretch marks" and the "gross" side effects of being overweight. Many women chimed in agreeing with her--a chorus of fat-shaming. And so there it was. Again. Women shaming other women.

So what DO I want to say to my daughters? To the beautiful teen girls I see in the classrooms I visit? What do I want to appear on my Facebook and Twitter feed? What do I want to SAY to young women?

Have a cupcake without punishing yourself.

LET GO of the guilt you have about food.

Stop and consider--there really are people who cannot eat, who have illnesses that rob them of the ability to eat food without pain. ENJOY your food. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the spectrum of foods you get to enjoy. Go ahead. Enjoy it for me. Have the cheesecake if it brings you joy at the end of your meal. Have it INSTEAD of your meal if that makes you smile on occasion.

Love the body you're in.

If you've veered toward the unhealthy end of the spectrum, start with little steps, healthy replacements of one habit at a time. But don't HATE yourself until you get to where you want to be.

Keep it about healthy.

Don't give a crap what some CEO says or what anyone says about your body--and sadly, that may include your own mothers who may not have made peace with their own bodies.

You are NOT A NUMBER.

Life is too short for the scale or the cheesecake or the size of your jeans to have any correlation to your happiness. Your self-worth.

Love yourself for the beautiful that is INSIDE. And the outside? It's awesome too, whatever the size.

Namaste.

44 comments:

Fake Frenchie 12:47 AM, May 16, 2013  

This was lovely!!

Erica Orloff 1:11 AM, May 16, 2013  

Thank you, my dear FF! xoxoxo

Amy Sue Nathan 1:55 AM, May 16, 2013  

You continue to be my inspiration.

Heather Dearly 7:54 AM, May 16, 2013  

Hugs and healing to you, dearest E.

I'm currently at my heaviest (non-pregnant) weight ever, but I don't hate my body. I do want to lose weight, not because I loathe my looks, but the weight is causing problems with my back/hips/bladder. So I am moving more now and starting to exercise. I'll go back to counting calories once I'm not so busy with the chore of moving from the rental to the new home, but I will stop the moment I start resenting having to log numbers. And I only check my weight once a week so I can see my progress, but I don't let that number define me. :-)

Jude Hardin 8:39 AM, May 16, 2013  

There's a pediatric endocrinologist named Robert Lustig who makes a compelling argument that sugar is to blame for the obesity epidemic. He has a book on the subject, and a ninety-minute video on YouTube.

I think it's a combination of things. Portion sizes have increased dramatically since I was a kid, for example. Sedentary lifestyles...convenience...

I know people obsess over the way they look, but it's really more of a health issue than anything. The same way smoking has been banned in most public places, drive-thru windows at doughnut shops should be illegal.

Edie Ramer 8:41 AM, May 16, 2013  

It's crazy that people will say that to you. I've been eating healthier because I've realized that inflammatory foods (my sugar addiction) affects my brain, as well as other health problems that run in my family. I've only gone down about one size in four months, but I feel better - mentally and physically - and that's my goal.

Mark Terry 8:53 AM, May 16, 2013  

Very nice. And yes, men do actually have some of these issues, but probably not as dramatically or as across-the-board as women. I've noticed, in following a lot of fitness and exercise folks on Facebook that there appears to be a very, very thin line between, say, a bodybuilder and a fitness model and an eating disorder. I'm not sure obsessions about these things are healthy in any directions.

Barbara 9:01 AM, May 16, 2013  

xoxox

Barbara 9:01 AM, May 16, 2013  

xoxox

Laurel 9:09 AM, May 16, 2013  

Amen!

And it really does go both ways. There is no size a woman can be without criticism.

I am one of those people who is always cold. If I am comfortable, everyone else thinks the ambient temperature is subtropical. I plan accordingly, always have long sleeves or a sweater, etc.

But so help me, if one more woman of broader girth than me tells me I'm cold because I "need to put some meat on my bones" I might deck her.

My size is fine. I go in and out in all the right places, I have full range of motion, and I can keep up with my kids all day at an amusement park.

Have a cupcake, people! Or don't! Maybe if everyone stopped obsessing so much about personal size and shape we could give everyone else a break for not being thinner/bigger/tanner/stretch markier etc.

Erica Orloff 10:19 AM, May 16, 2013  

Thanks, Amy!

SO EXCITED SEEING YOUR BOOK LAUNCH FROM AFAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Erica Orloff 10:20 AM, May 16, 2013  

Heather:

I think yes, be healthy . . . but the self-loathing I see sometimes on my feed is just painful.

Congrats on the new house!

Erica Orloff 10:23 AM, May 16, 2013  

Jude:
I don't have an emotional relationship with food. I can't since at times I literally can't eat food and am fed TPN or via IV or a port, or whatever. As an observer, then, I think it's portions, and "mindless" eating rather than "mindful." Eating because you're bored, eating as an activity, eating because you're in front of the TV instead of eating mindfully.

And yes, I DO see we have a huge issue with obesity. This country's relationship with weight and food is a mess. On the one hand, we "fat-shame." On the other hand, 50% of the population is overweight!

Erica Orloff 10:25 AM, May 16, 2013  

Edie:
It's very weird. Yesterday a woman said to me, "If you lose anymore weight, you will blow away." And so then I pause and think (she doesn't know me well), do I tell her I am SICK (and thus make her feel badly for her comment), do I smile and say "thanks" (as if that is a compliment)--and then imply I have TRIED to lose this weight? Maybe the bigger issue is we all butt into each others' business. But by the same token, if I was an overweight person who worked hard to get healthy, I would WANT people to notice!

Erica Orloff 10:27 AM, May 16, 2013  

Mark:
The fitness guru I mentioned was someone on FB, an author. She got SO UGLY about that Dove thing, as did her followers, it was a little "Mean Girls" episode--and it was very odd, since her "platform" and persona is this loving, New Age-y fitness author--but peel back that layer and she was outright ugly about overweight women. There was definitely a fine line toward unhealthy thinking there.

Erica Orloff 10:27 AM, May 16, 2013  

BB:

xoxoxox

Back at ya!

Erica Orloff 10:33 AM, May 16, 2013  

Laurel:

I think a lot of the time, people mean well. Like I posted above in the thread, if you HAD done Weight Watchers, say, and worked hard to get your shape . . . you would want to receive notice, I think. It's when it veers toward the "I know better" or the "should-ing"--you SHOULD put some meat on your bones, you SHOULD do this, you should do that.

My thyroid is dead--automimmune issues, so I take artificial thyroid and I keep having to up it. I am constantly cold. So I hear you.

And like I posted here on the thread, it becomes an issue of "do I smile and nod and move on" or do I tell someone more of my story, though it's not their business. It's a weird dynamic. Do we "defend" who we are from prying folks, or do we shrug and let them thing whatever.

By the same token, my teen daughter doesn't see me eat much, and jokes I have anorexia. I obviously don't and she's kidding--but, I WANT to set a good example of someone who is comfortable in her own skin. And that was a big point I intended with this blog post--be mindful your DAUGHTERS see your feed and HEAR your self-negating comments.

Joe Barone 10:58 AM, May 16, 2013  

I am so glad you wrote this. You have credibility with young women. I love to see people whose books they've read or whom they've known in other ways say clearly that idolizing stick-figure women is suicidal.

Also, I have a young friend with Crohn's Disease. I pray for you and her almost every day that there will be some medical breakthrough to help you both.

I appreciate you and your big heart for hurting people.

Richard Levangie 12:34 PM, May 16, 2013  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard Levangie 12:36 PM, May 16, 2013  

Lovely, as always, my friend. I have a relative who I love dearly who had an an eating disorder, and who thought often about suicide. And she has the sweetest, most gentle spirit. If anything had happened to her, I don't know how I could have carried on.

What we do to women. What we do to girls.

Sadly, I beat myself up about my weight. No one seems to remember that my pre-illness weight was 165 pounds, and my "I have a brain tumor" weight ballooned by 30 pounds. Because I don't look ill, I sometimes feel like screaming: I don't have any hormones in my fucking body, asshole.

If it can affect me this much, now, in my 50s, imagine how much it must hurt someone who is just finding their way in this world as a young adult

Wendy 1:22 PM, May 16, 2013  

Really well said, Erica. I spent a lot of time beating myself up about how I looked in my 20's and 30's. I recently ran across a bunch of pictures of me from college (now that I'm an older, tired mommy with a stress-induced snack obsession) and as I shuffled through them thought, "Wow, WTF was I worried about back then. How much time did I waste driving myself crazy?" (And, yes, probably now still.)

I think we'd benefit from having a magic switch that allowed us to see ourselves as others see us.

Merry Monteleone 2:11 PM, May 16, 2013  

E,

I love you bunches. This was amazingly well said.

I have a lot of friends on fb who talk about working out all the time. That's fine, I get that it makes people feel better to be healthier (and in a lot of cases, I do think it's more about dress size than actual health, but at least they're going about it in a healthy way).

One (who posts often about going to the gym/losing weight/changing your life by exercise) posted today:

"If you don't take care of your body, where do you plan to live?"

My answer: "In my head."

I think the quote is empowering, and can be taken so many ways... but most people never think about working out their head... and I think that's a hell of a lot more important.

Heather Kelly 2:52 PM, May 16, 2013  

I constantly oscillate between wanting adults to act like adults and wanting to give people the benefit of the doubt.

It's amazing how much is out there, in public, for teens (and kids) to see that adults aren't really aware of. It used to be only "the media" and TV that we were concerned with giving our kids the wrong impression of body image. But now kids can see us--or adults just like us--on facebook and twitter talking in regretful ways about our bodies and food and exercise.

Just because we have a thought, doesn't mean we need to tweet it, folks. :) (And I totally know I'm preaching to the choir here.)

Sometimes I feel like we are evolving as a society--becoming smaller and closer-knit because of the internet-- and sometimes I just feel like we are just giving ourselves the opportunity to be boneheads on a much larger scale. :)

thinking about and praying for your health, E!

Mary Witzl 3:59 PM, May 16, 2013  

Well said.

Life should be about so much more than squeezing into clothes and angsting about dress sizes. It's always refreshing to find people who don't buy into the hype.

Erica Orloff 4:06 PM, May 16, 2013  

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the prayers. I really do.

Erica Orloff 4:08 PM, May 16, 2013  

Richard:
When I was 28 or so, I entered the hospital underweight from Crohn's. I walked out four weeks later with 50 pounds of prednisone weight because the dose was so high. I remember going out to eat or being in stores and wanting to say to people "I'm sick . . . I'm not REALLY 'fat.'" Then I realized I needed to make peace with the fact that my inside person hadn't changed and . . . not care so much what people thought. You're right . . . what we put people through. And we don't ever know what any one person is going through.

Erica Orloff 4:09 PM, May 16, 2013  

Wendy:
I weight now what I weighed in high school . . . it's very strange. And I too look at my old pictures and wonder why I hated my hair or disliked this or that about myself.

Erica Orloff 4:10 PM, May 16, 2013  

Merry:
I do agree the body is a temple. But also so is the mind and it needs to be fed!

Erica Orloff 4:10 PM, May 16, 2013  

Heather:
I keep saying today . . . our daughters are listening.

We must self-love so they have something healthy to mirror.

Erica Orloff 4:11 PM, May 16, 2013  

Mary:
I've never shied away from dessert and never, ever, ever have felt guilty about it. :-)

Aimlesswriter 4:14 PM, May 16, 2013  

Great post. I sort of saw the A & F report but didn't read the whole thing because I have this "don't waste my time" attitude about stupidity.
But your post was right on. We obsess about size too much. I have Celiac disease, nowhere near as bad as Crohns but it does bite me in the gut now and then. I've heard pot helps both Crohns and Celiac but haven't tried it since it's illegal and I'm not that brave. lol
I need to lose about 30 lbs but really don't care that much. I'm happy, I don't have a job where I need to be bone thin or supermodel pretty.
Everything you said about weight and size and women was absolutely right. Now if I could just tattoo it on my brain and hold it there when my attitude slips.
Great post!

Erica Orloff 4:37 PM, May 16, 2013  

Thanks, Aimless. My niece needs to go gluten-free. I know it can be a bear.

Colleen 8:56 AM, May 17, 2013  

I whole heartedly agree with everything you said and how you said it.

I have too many people within my circle of family and friends that are fighting for their health and lives ... and in so many cases, that little bit of 'excess' (??) weight that they had going into their battle has been a much needed back-up reserve that their body needed.

I am a tiny bit upset with the state of my figure lately, but I keep telling myself that this is nature's way of protecting us as we age and our bones and body become more susceptible to broken bones and disease. A lot of my 'excess padding' has found its way to my hips and I joke that "At least I should never break a hip..."

I take care of a little 1-1/2 year old girl that still has a little, round 'baby belly'. I absolutely adore the way she struts around with absolutely no concept of body image. She is beautiful. And she doesn't know it. And she doesn't care. Why do we mess with perfection? These little guys have it all right in my mind!

Sarah Laurenson 12:03 PM, May 17, 2013  

I would love to have a cupcake and may have to find a good gluten-free one this weekend.

It's partially about weight and body issues for me. I do have problems finding myself attractive enough. It's the whole you're not good enough tape that includes physical characteristics. I don't look at myself in the mirror any more than I have to in order to brush my hair or my teeth.

The other aspect is about health. I'm avoiding heart issues that led to my dad's triple bypass at age 47. I have the beginnings of something in my finger joints and doing the raw vegan thing helps those bumps to go away.

I would not want Crohns or any other disease for any reason. I wish I could take it away from you and all who have it. My friend who had it was very skinny. I don't know if she was on the steroids. I do know they had removed everything they could and we used to joke that having less inside was what made her able to do yoga so well.

XOXOXO

Marta 7:13 PM, May 17, 2013  

I came across your blog because of Facebook. This post struck a chord with me.

I'm going through chemotherapy and my stomach is always churning. The anti-nausea meds don't help. Nothing taste right. I want to eat but then when I eat I don't want it.

And I just want to tell people--enjoy your food. If you have food on the table and your healthy, enjoy.

Erica Orloff 12:43 PM, May 18, 2013  

Colleen:
I love the way little kids just KNOW they are fabulous!

Erica Orloff 12:54 PM, May 18, 2013  

Sarah:
Last year I faced the choice to taking EVERYTHING out and having a permanent colostomy, wearing a bag forever. I really was having a very hard time coming to grips with the idea . . . but then I reached the point where I had such a lousy quality of life that it simply wasn't living. THEN, there was a last-resort drug for me, and it started working about a month after I started taking it. So I was saved from having to have that surgery. However, I watched with admiration as Angelina Jolie made her recent decision. Make a choice to disfigure your body for your health is not one anyone makes lightly. In fact, I am so angry at people having negative opinions of her choice. Until you walk a mile . . .

Anyway, I am sure your friend did not arrive at her decision easily. But hopefully, it has improved her quality of life.

xo

Erica Orloff 12:57 PM, May 18, 2013  

Marta:
First, thank you so much for reading the blog--and commenting. I wish you good health ahead in your battle.

I do notice, because of my disease, that so many people don't have a normal relationship with food. A lot of depriving . . . a lot of overindulging. I try to impart on my kids MINDFUL eating. Are you REALLY hungry or are you eating to eat? And then really TASTE it, not inhale it (I have a 6'2" son, who is 18--the feed like locusts).

Lorel Clayton 5:21 PM, May 21, 2013  

So true! If ever you've been ill, or feared for the health of your loved ones, you realize all that crap about appearances is the biggest pile in the world. Love and respect yourself and others.

A person is not what you see but what's inside, and I've seen so many weight-obsessed women that at first glance appear pretty, but on the inside are twisted, horrible, hating creatures.

One time at a party, one of them asked for the healthy snack plate, and then I asked even louder is someone could please pass me the unhealthy, yummy cupcakes!

Erica Orloff 1:42 PM, May 22, 2013  

Lorel:
I can think of a handful of very attractive women I know who are extremely unkind and so they immediately become far less attractive in my eyes. It IS the inside that counts . . . and I also feel like you can count calories or diet to the point that it's obsessive, and what is the fun or good in that. Have the cupcake. :-)

Fake Frenchie 1:29 AM, June 10, 2013  

I just to say "Hi!!!". I sent the card to …@verizon.net

Fake Frenchie 11:19 AM, July 07, 2013  

Happy 4th of July!!!

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ 11:04 PM, September 09, 2018  

Yay!
yoo RITE!!
Gotta lotta
explosive,
explicit,
extraordinary
exponential
exactly.
Wannum?

ATL 9:45 AM, November 12, 2023  

I am writting from italy, I was cured by Dr Jekawo a traditional herbal doctor whom has cured many diseases like hiv/aid,herpes,diabetes,parkinson,als,hepatitis, cancer. I was told by a friend of mine to contact Dr Jekawo and after i contacted him he then prepare a herbal medicines for me that cured my hepatitis and prostate cancer completely after drinking his herbal medicines for 15 days. I am so grateful right now and I feel like sharing this here so anyone can get heal by Dr Jekawo. his email contact details is : drjekawo@gmail.com he cure so many disease and they call him a great healer.

Thank you blog admin.


  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP