Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hanging Out

No thoughtful post or musing today. I just have one question . . . .

Whatcha working on?

I'm working on a romance proposal that I hope to send to my agent this week, Magickeepers III (hello, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle research), and a women's fiction piece, I think. I say, "I think" since I also have a thriller I am playing around with but I haven't quite figured out the end yet.

And you?

29 comments:

Amy Sue Nathan 10:21 AM, October 24, 2009  

I am working on the laundry. Oh, that's not what you meant is it? ;)

I'm working on the final rewrite/edit/reorganizing of the second half of my WIP, The Glass House. I'm also working with editing clients on final versions of their novels that have been requested by literary agents. (YAY them) Also, I'm trying to get an internship (yes, unpaid work) that I believe will help me in many areas of my writing work.

Oh, and I'm on day-two of a chili-making extravaganza!

Spiced Apple Eye 10:30 AM, October 24, 2009  

Frantically cleaning bathrooms for sleepover party.

Woke up at 2 this morning, forced self to dwell on chapter issues rather than party issues. Woke up at 8:30 knowing where the chapter would go and end. Yeah, but no time to write. Stopped at the moment to take a deep breath. Draino stinks.

MAGolla 10:31 AM, October 24, 2009  

I need to finish an RS that I'm thinking of entering into the Golden Heart. 18K doesn't a novel make. :-)
Oh, and waiting for my rejection letter that I expect to get from the Delacorte Yearling contest.

Mark Terry 11:10 AM, October 24, 2009  

It's the last marching band competition of the year (yay!), so around noon we have to go up to the high school, collect desserts from some donating parents, then run home, then pick up the pizza to the feed the kids for their lunch, then clean up, then up to the competition site for a couple hours.

I just finished my edits on the 4th Derek Stillwater novel last night, The Valley of Shadows, which I sent to my editor. So, for the moment, I plan to go full-blast on Dressed To Kill, about my true crime writer.

Oh yeah. I'm also working on a market research report about specialty/niche clinical diagnostics, an article about iPhone/Blackberry apps for doctors, an article about analyzing insurance reports for doctors, plus we'll be going into galleys soon for the technical journal I edit, and I'm scheduled for an article with the same client after the iPhone article... Busy is good.

Paul Greci 11:23 AM, October 24, 2009  

I'm working on a YA novel, multi viewpoint, trying to get the voices distinct. I hope to finish this edit this weekend and send it to my critique partner. Then I have one final light edit to do on a contemporary YA novel before my agent sends it out on submission.
I have two other WIPs, both YA, that I hope to revisit soon.

Oh yeah, I've a chord of fire wood to split as well. Yikes!

Erica Orloff 11:32 AM, October 24, 2009  

Hi Amy:
Love that title, by the way.
E

Erica Orloff 11:32 AM, October 24, 2009  

Richmond:
Yeah . . . some cleaning is on the agenda here, too.

Erica Orloff 11:32 AM, October 24, 2009  

magolla:
What's your deadline for Golden Heart??

E

Erica Orloff 11:33 AM, October 24, 2009  

Mark:
We're still in marching hell here.

E

Erica Orloff 11:33 AM, October 24, 2009  

Paul:
Good luck with your submission. I love multi-POV, but you're right . . . it's ensuring distinct voices.

E

Jude Hardin 11:34 AM, October 24, 2009  

I'm working on my horror novel. There's an excerpt on my blog.

Merry Monteleone 11:38 AM, October 24, 2009  

Let's see, still working on the wip what killed me, From the Neighborhood. Also revising an article for my friday deadline (editor liked the idea but wanted some changes)... Need to slim down another article to go out on submission by Monday. And there are two short stories I'd like to submit (one to the WOW contest) that both need to be revised, one of which I'm not sure I can save.

MAGolla 11:59 AM, October 24, 2009  

The monetary deadline for the Golden Heart is Nov. 16, but the final manuscript (usually on disk, plus five or six hard copies of the partial) must be in RWA's Houston office by Dec. 12.
If I can hit 50K by 11/16, then I'm entering it, only 32K words, so it's doable. Then I'll have two weeks to 'sort of' finish it. :-)
A while back I mentioned it on my blog and a GH finalist from last year told me that if the manuscript finals RWA will give you two days to send them another copy. Since the calls don't go out until March sometime, that's plenty of time to tweak and edit it into shape . . . provided the first fifty pages & synopsis are good enough TO final.
Why? Offering to read my crappy synopsis with no ending and my first fifty?? :-) HAR!
Just kidding--I know you have plenty to keep yourself occupied with out me dumping additional baggage in your lap.
The kiddo should be healthy enough to go to school next week, so I'll buckle down and crank out some words. I've thought about this story for a couple of years now so I can see the faint light at the end of the tunnel instead of just grabbing things in the dark.

Spy Scribbler 12:27 PM, October 24, 2009  

At this moment, I'm procrastinating finishing two pseudonym novellas (one's at 53K and it'll be 52K, the other's at 49K and will be 48K, LOL), which I will flip out if I don't finish this weekend. Right now I'm digging around a dragon romance in my mind (end of November), researching what's already out there. I'm also mentally working out a dark superhero mystery (beginning of November), and yesterday I randomly wrote 5K on a novella that's a tinier niche than the one I currently write in (never or December). Oh right, and next week I have to throw together a 20K erotic novella before Nano.

My head is spinning.

Melanie Hooyenga 1:37 PM, October 24, 2009  

I'm thinking about my wip -- novel #2 about a suburban family rocked by tragedy -- but I'm not allowing myself to start the second draft until I get through a web design tutorial I'm working on. Hopefully I'll finish that in another week or so.

writtenwyrdd 2:32 PM, October 24, 2009  

Today I'm working--as in the people who grant me the priviledge of a paycheck. For writing, I've had four WIPs that have been hanging fire and which I sort of promised myself I'd finish before the end of the year. Between lots of work days, surgery, my writing avoidance skills and whatnot, I'm just hoping to get two of them done--one is a NaNoWriMo project, so there may be hope for two first drafts.

Erica Orloff 3:57 PM, October 24, 2009  

Jude:
Glad you are wokring on something new.
E

Erica Orloff 3:58 PM, October 24, 2009  

Magolla:
Wow! Big challenge . . . but sometimes that's really good to light a fire!

E

Erica Orloff 3:58 PM, October 24, 2009  

Natasha:
Oh . . . is that all?

;-)

Erica Orloff 3:59 PM, October 24, 2009  

Melanie:
I love your new idea . . . so I'm hoping to see you work on it. Very cool.
E

Erica Orloff 4:00 PM, October 24, 2009  

WWyrdd:

Sometimes, for me, the calendar is my friend (before end of year goals, new year's resolutions and so on).

Good luck!

Being Beth 5:22 PM, October 24, 2009  

Laundry, baking, cooking, cleaning, and in-between appliances buzzing and dinging at me, I'm lost in the twists and turns of the plot of a new novel I'm going to write for Nanowrimo (an historical mystery of sorts). Fun day!

Nadine 11:05 PM, October 24, 2009  

I'm working on a woman's fiction WIP that I queried unsuccessfully two years ago. I had several fulls requested, but no takers so I've decided to rewrite it. It was at 70,000 and now it's down to 36,000. I've been procrastinating recently so if I can just get my butt to stay in the chair, maybe I can make some progress on it.

Robin 2:05 PM, October 25, 2009  

I'm working on an indie movie script with a friend. I love it, and I love collaborating with someone! (She's my cohost on our movie review show "Movie Mavens".) I have all day free today, so I'm really going to try to get some work done. The only problem is, it's gorgeous outside - the perfect weather for a bike ride.

John Kauffman 7:40 PM, October 25, 2009  

I'm working on a beard.

Cheryl says I could do the dishes with my face any day now - with a Brillo-pad attached to it.

Erica Orloff 6:51 AM, October 26, 2009  

Beth:
All my appliances ding at me, too.
E

Erica Orloff 6:51 AM, October 26, 2009  

Nadine:
Good luck with it!!!
E

Erica Orloff 6:52 AM, October 26, 2009  

Robin:
I've never collaborated on a project before. I am sure it could be a fun experience--or a nightmare. LOL! But you guys work on your reviews together so I bet it's a lot of fun.
E

Erica Orloff 6:53 AM, October 26, 2009  

John:
Good project!! :-)


  © Blogger template Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP