Obligations
What is your obligation to your readers? Do you think about them when you write? (I already know Natasha's answer!)
I've been thinking about this since my Magickeepers series came out. Every day I hear from kid readers. And some of them write me weekly. I write back to each and every one of them . . . sometimes, if I have a lot of emails, it takes me a couple of days, but I try to respect that they are excited to write to me, and to honor their "relationship" with the characters. I also feel I have an obligation to be a reasonably sane email correspondent. I don't tell them all my vast conspiracy theories, I don't talk politics, or my various problems. I try to be cheerful; I try to encourage them to read (my number-one mantra with them).
When I hear from adult readers, the emails boil down to three very clear varieties. The overwhelming majority (if I was going to hazard a guess, I'd put it at 95%) are very kind emails about how much my books mean to them, or how they made them FEEL. About 3 or 4% are crackpot emails. I have been proposed to (twice), asked to ship free copies of my books (usually to a foreign country), had love letters sent to me by a man in Portugual and two men in Italy . . . you name it . . . it's come to my email box in response to a book. About 1 to 2% are "scolding" letters. They're not even letters ASKING why I did x or y in a book; they are letters telling me what I did wrong. Often (but not always), they are emails criticizing the curse words I use. One time it was a criticism of subject matter.
Now . . . if you don't think that people consider an author to have OBLIGATIONS to them as reader, get thy butt over to Amazon and choose a book by an author who had a rabid following for a while and then "let down" their readers (Anne Rice comes to mind). Readers do not seem to be lukewarm. They take it personally (something I never do. Ever. I don't get that. If you don't like the curse words in my book . . . sorry . . . but I don't think I owe you an apology, and yes, my mother DOES know I have characters that curse like sailors--yes, this has been sent to me . . . do my PARENTS know?).
And what about obligations to a genre? What about books or movies with a "gotcha" at the end?
In my adult books, I geneally feel my obligation is to entertain, but hopefully make you think. Most of my readers know my adult books generally champion in some way, shape or form (but not always) gay rights. It's not a political message, but a personal one. I don't have gay characters because that was the "trend" in chick lit. I have them because they populate my world and I wanted to show gay characters as real people, as friends and lovers. My books always have messages of tolerance. I try for race to be an afterthought (T.D. Russell was African-American; Jackie Rooney in Knockout was mixed-race, as was Georgia Ray in Diary of a Blues Goddess; Maggie in Invisible Girl was half-Vietnamese). If you WANT to find the deeper themes of the world as I see it, you can. If not, just play along for the ride and have fun.
In my middle grade and YA, I feel my obligation is to say SOMETHING. To say something that honors what a difficult yet glorious journey it is to evolve from child to adult, to navigate those often-choppy waters.
Those are my obligations. And you?

18 comments:
I think one author sent back a response asking if their mother approved of their letter before they mailed it.
I do think that we have a responsibility to expand the world of writing to reflect and advance the actual world.
It drives me a little crazy when people say that white women can't write...(insert your minority here).
If you go MIA, I'm checking Italy.
I feel an obligation to entertain when I write...and to bring to light things people haven't thought about, or have set aside during their busy lives. Usually it's basic stuff, but that's what is most important -- and what often gets taken for granted. Love, friendship, forgiveness, inclusion, family -- and even humor and light in darkness. I often hope my writing sparks a reminder that leads to contemplation - because that's the first step in everything.
Richmond:
LOL! Good idea! :-)
E
Heather:
LOL! No trips to Italy for me. :-)
And I feel FICTION means I can write from any POV. But HONORING that means I had better write from a place of respect. If I don't feel I can do that perspective justice, then I won't.
I spent years as an ESL tutor to Cambodian and Vietnamese refugees . . . I felt when I wrote Maggie's story in Invisible Girl that I was capable.
E
Amy:
That is pretty much my philosophy, too. There's always an appreciation for friends and family and life in my books, for the fleeting nature of the moment. In Magickeepers II, there is even an homage to the Wizard of Oz, right down to the scene setting . . . the end, in Dorothy's bedroom, in black and white, "There's no place like home."
I think we all put a little of ourselves and our beliefs in our stories. It would be hard for us to hide it.
I don't purposely add my world view. It comes out, but that is just because of my biases intrude on the entertainment.
I believe an author's obligation to the reader is to offer an escape from reality, to bend the world so that the reader can take a small vacation from life as he knows it. If we offer some redeeming advice along the way, that's wonderful, just so long as it doesn't get in the way of a great story.
Allen:
Bravo. Very well put!!!
E
I wrote about this recently, too. I feel obligated to entertain, because I think that's why people read. If possible, I feel obligated to educate, although by that I mean be as accurate about the world I've created and the people in it that people come away with something they didn't have before, not that I'm going to get all polemical and lecture people on what they should feel or think about some current event or something. I feel quite obligated to respect the reader's time and money. I think it would truly suck if somebody paid $25 for one of my books and felt they only got $12.55 worth. At the same time, I feel obligated to respect their time, which is even more valuable. I try not to waste it.
Mark:
Time and dollar constraints mean we should all take note of that.
E
Great post and comments.I'll just add emotional truth. The idea that I'll strive to convey any given character's emotional journey and/or growth in an authentic way.
Paul:
Another really, really good one.
E
I want my readers to feel like they've been hugged and loved and told they are adorable just the way they are.
Whew, I have gotten a few emails that make me happy I have a pseudonym, that's for sure. For the most part, they're happy emails, aside from the sad stories they sometimes share. There are a few that don't like certain things, but that doesn't bother me because that's just personal preference. If a reader writes and points out something that I agree and know that I let the reader down (thank God they don't write me about my early stuff, and I can't let the old stuff bother me, anyway), I'm pretty hard on myself. It only took once for me to change my ways pretty drastically. I'll scold myself for days. I'll be upset with myself for months.
That's why I have nothing but gratitude for critiques. ANYTHING not to let a reader down, LOL. That's the worst, the absolute worst.
Nastaha:
I knew you would comment something along those lines. :-) You are a writer very conscious of your readers.
E
I was going to propose to you, but now I'm intimidated by the competition.
Stephen:
But see . . . you might have a chance of a yes. The stranger from Sicily? Not so much.
E
You'll turn down the stranger from Sicily, but not the Scrabble psycho from Germany? Or is this just you feeling secure in your ability to beat him at his own game?
Mark:
I have complete confidence in my abilities to wipe the floor with Stephen and have him begging for mercy and right where I want him.
;-)
Post a Comment