Cool Author Day
All right . . . sometimes, I have to tell you, being a writer ain't glam. (Particularly when I am in my pjs.) Sometimes you do a signing and get asked where the ladies room is.
But some days you get to do really neat things.
YESTERDAY, I got to Skype with this guy for forty minutes. Well, him and a wonderful class of 10-year-olds who all read Magickeepers. They were awesome and they were SO smart (!) --really, I think these kids might take over the world someday. Someday soon!
And Travis was as nice a man as he seems on his blog, just sweet and charming and kind and patient with those kids. A big Texan (6 foot four, and I know this since I was asked how tall I am) . . . with a big beart.
So today . . . I ask . . . what is one of the neat cyber connections you have made in the blogosphere?
And have an awesome day!

18 comments:
Travis is on my list, as is Jude, Natasha, Stephen P, Joe Moore, John VZ, Eric Meyer and Mary Reed, and, you, dear lady.
Corey Wilde at The Drowning Machine.
His blog and yours are probably the two I read most faithfully, though there are several others I read regularly and enjoy.
Most of my suggestions for books to read now come from blogs, not from newspaper or magazine reviews.
Mark:
Back at ya, BIRTHDAY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe:
Me, too! And now that I have the Kindle, oh-so-easy! :-)
This is so cool. I am a huge fan of Travis, and chatting with the kids is cool too. Sounds like you had an experience to be envious of.
Really all of you, and everyone I've met. There are far too many people to name. I am so fortunate to be in this writers' e-community.
But by far and away is Stuart Neville. He and I met on Crapometer, a shoot-off of Miss Snark (RIP) and we have become the best of friends. We finally actually met this fall and when we sat up for three nights in a row talking late, we realized what good friends we really are. Even my husband commented on how we always seem to have our heads together when we're hanging out.
OOOOhhhh happy birthday, Mark!!
I'll google Corey, Joe.
Erica, yesterday was great. The kids were bouncing off the walls with excitement after we disconnected and every last one will be a lifelong fan of you and your writing.
I have been blessed in many ways in my life and I count all of my wonderful online friends among the biggest of those blessings.
Last year when my house was destroyed by fire both me and my family was devastated. Everything we had was gone and it immediately became clear that I had not acquired anywhere near enough insurance coverage. my mistake for certain and one I will never make again, but nevertheless my spirits were low, my wife was devastated and my two boys were shell shocked.
Hopeless. Defeated. Jaded. Angry. Resentful. Saddened. Weary. Beat down.
Every last one of those adjectives describes how I felt. I truly didn't know what to do, where to begin, or if I could even muster the courage to try.
But then YOU Erica. Along with Stephen Parrish organized a website. Y'all reached out to me and my family. Y'all and countless others. People the world over. Some I'd met in person. Other's only via the blogosphere, and some not at all.
The donated money was a God send. It allowed us to begin our new life even before the first insurance check. It gave us the chance to believe that we could go on. That there was hope. But truthfully the money was only a small part and probably the most fleeting beneficial factor of our recovery.
The kindness and compassion that flowed from all over the globe lifted our spirits, our hearts, and our belief that tomorrow would be better than today. These feelings have turned me into a much more compassionate person and truly renewed my faith that people are basically good. That the world is not the dark place it seems to be.
I cannot think of a better blogosphere connection than that and from every fiber of my meat eating soul I want o once again say thank you not only to you Erica but each and every person reading this.
You are my heroes because you gave me hope for the future when I had none.
Oh, and happy birthday Mark!
Like Betsy, I think I have too many to list. Of course, you, and Stephen, and Travis, and Ellen Oh has been about the best crit partner imaginable.
I started blogging at a point when I couldn't really be active in real world writing circles, but the writing circle I found online was possibly even better - it'd be unbelievable fun to meet you all in person, but the support and wisdom online is just as real as anything outside of the cyber world.
Happy Birthday, Mark! Hope it's fantastic.
Eric:
The kids were AWESOME. :-) As was Mr. Travis!
E
Starbucks:
That is SO awesome about Stuart.
E
Travis:
Awwww . . . you made me sniffle. It was a small gesture in an awful situation, and I am so grateful it made a difference.
xo
E
Merry:
I totally agree . . . I love my cyber friends and they have great meaning in my life.
E
I'm a very shy and private person so actually reaching out to people on the internet has been a new thing for me. Apart from gaining friends and a support system, I've also found beta partners and one in particular who I have really gelled with. Her help has been awesome and we get along really well. Hopefully we'll meet one day!
Erica--what a wonderful post. And Travis seems like such a great guy. I'm glad you had a blast.
I can't count how many soul-feeding people I have encountered in this writing blogosphere--including, of course, YOU.
I never had online friends before I started my blog two years ago, and now I'm closer with some of those friends than I am with my real-world friends. I've always drifted apart from certain people when I've moved, but these relationships thrive no matter when I live.
::huggles at Nadine::
Thank you for taking the time to inspire my almost 10 year old son today!
Post a Comment