What I Learned from Vietnamese Soap Operas
You haven't lived until you've watched Vietnamese soap operas on tape--and you don't speak Vietnamese.
I have taught ESL at different points in my life as a volunteer. As I get ready to open an ESL school one night a week, I think back on all the things my students over the years have taught me. I've taught Vietnamese immigrants, Cambodian refugees, a smattering of Brazilians, one man from Korea, and now hopefully a class of Mexican and El Salvadorean immigrants. My students have cooked for me. They have made me laugh and made me cry. A lot of both. I know a smattering of words in all the languages, but not much. Somehow we communicate in a universal language of love and patience. But Vietnemese soap operas are in a class by themselves.
I used to sit with my students in their house--a family of ten--and have tea and we would watch. The beautiful young bride forced into an arranged marriage to an evil and ruthless businessman many years her senior. And then . . . the evil woman. I remember the matriarch of the family tell me, "She very bad. VERY bad." And I had to laugh because the evil lady didn't have mere fingernails. She had long, red, laquered TALONS. And she wore a skin tight dress, and had a heavily made-up face. And she glared at everyone while causing trouble. And of course, she pulled the hair of the beautiful young bride and made her cry.
What made me laugh is the family I taught was very intent on explaining who was good and who was bad, as if I couldn't figure it out on my own. And how, even not understanding a single word of the soap opera, I knew. Heck, they are just like our soap operas, from what I can tell. We might not costume up the evil ladies, but we see their arched brows and conniving expressions. So I have spent many an hour watching Vietnamese soap operas and realizing . . . we're all the same. And what does it teach about writing?
Our themes are universal. Good is good and evil is evil.
Another thing I learned? You have to have someone to root for. I can honestly say, bemused though I was, I wanted that sweet bride to take down the evil lady. I wanted the bad businessman to fall from grace, or better yet, drop dead, freeing the sweet bride to marry her love back in her village. I rooted for characters--and all 11 of us couldn't wait for the next episode (which were bought on the bootleg black market of videotapes found in a Vietnamese section of D.C., where, believe it or not, you could also buy T.B. medicine to ship home to Vietnam). Without someone to root for, do we really care?
Another thing? It's a cycle of conflict . . . glimmer of hope . . . conflict . . . glimmer of hope. You watched, virtually exhausted by the storyline--but then, there is that glimmer of hope. The village love getting a message in a simple flower left on her bed to the bride.
And those bad guys . . . watch out.
So . . . the question for the day . . . is how are you depicting the bad guys in your book? Long laquered nails and evil smiles?
My bad "guy" is a virus. But it's a virulent one that shows no mercy.

24 comments:
My bad guys are mind-controlling extraterrestrial parasites.
They very bad. VERY bad.
Jude:
I know. But they still didn't scare me in your excerpt. I keep picturing gnats with evil voices. LOL!
But I think extraterrestrials don't scare me as much as a genre. "Signs" scared me. He did a good job of building suspense with that one. But overall, I guess sci fi doesn't grab me because it feels far-fetched to begin with. If I invest in sci fi (e.g., I loved Alien) . . . it doesn't feel "real"--it's a set piece for me, and I enjoy it, but it doesn't translate to "that can happen to me" in the way that, say, a serial killer scare-book does. It's a tougher bad guy to develop (for me as READER, not you as writer).
E
I didn't realize it until now, but all my bad guys are male (except for one).
I was hooked on Mexican soap operas when we first moved here. I had nothing to do, no internet, and three TV channels. THOSE are fun!
Well, the people infected with the parasite become mass murderers, so maybe I can scare you yet. :)
Melanie:
Yeah . . . they're racier than ours, even.
Vietnamese soap operas are chaste.
Jude:
I don't know. It's still requiring a BIG leap for me. But you never know!!!! :-)
My bad guys (or gals) tend to be brilliant but screwed up. Richard Coffee, AKA The Fallen Angel in The Devil's Pitchfork and The Fallen is a former US Special Forces guy who speaks 6 or 7 languages, is very charismatic, and specialized in psychological warfare before he joined the CIA and went nuts.
In The Serpent's Kiss "The Serpent" is a brilliant but screwed up biochemistry grad student with "daddy" issues.
And come to think of it, the bad guy in the 4th Derek Stillwater novels is a former art history professor who joined al-Qaeda.
My bad guys aren't usually thugs, but well-educated but mentally disturbed people. What does that say about my view of academics? Hmmmm.
Mark:
I wonder--given the "perfect storm" post I had a few days ago . . . what turns them. And is it genius being so close to madness?
Very interesting-sounding villains.
I'm with Melanie--telenovelas are the way to go! But now I want to check out the Vietnamese version.
Sickness is the bad guy in one of my WIPs, and in another--the main character's own interpretation of all the real bullies in her life. I think that when we (kids, especially) internalize our bullies, the villians that live in our own heads are many times worse that what is in real life-- like caricatures, and maybe similar what is portrayed in those soap operas...
I'm concentrating on grey characters in my story. Yes, the Bishop is a first class bitch, ruthless in her defiance of God and all that is holy, but she has a good reason for her bitterness and violence. I've been doing some macro plotting work, trying to find the logical end to what I feel is a solid beginning. And I realized the main theme is forgiveness without understanding. From the start, the Bishop makes Trinidad's skin crawl (and hopefully the reader's). He will never like her, but if he fails to forgive her, then the story is for naught.
Jude, I love SF and your baddies sound awesome!
My bad guy doesn't think he's bad. He has a reason to commit evil, or what he thinks is a reason. He feels entitled to something the hero has, and he's willing to kill to get it.
My bad guy is pretty straightforward: a highly ambitious, yet oddly insecure creature who hates his own limitations, lives in a whirlwind of envy and power, and has but one goal.
I like writing him, though, because I really like the idea that, at his core, he's infuriated by his own shortcomings. He hates the way he has to live, hates his own nature, but instead of trying to find a peace with who he really is, he tries to pervert nature to fit his own image.
Heather:
That's great for MG especially--that internalization.
E
Starbucks:
I always, and I mean ALWAYS wonder about that forgiveness factor. Andrew Vachss (one of my face writers) has a whole different take on it.
E
Edie:
ENTITLEMENT is so powerful for evil.
E
Jon:
Also sounds powerful. Like it.
E
Bad guys" They look a lot like me...
Omg, when I watched Signs, I slept with my lights on for three days. I was terrified!
I love trying to write sympathetic bad guys, like Sloane in Alias. If I could create a bad guy like that, I'd be tickled pink.
Allen:
I think that is most frightening (not you, but that the human face is the face of evil).
E
Natasha:
What I loved was the human storyline WITH the tension; it was woven well.
E
I wonder if it has to do with so many years working in university and hospital laboratories and being exposed to a lot of brilliant people with MDs and PhDs (and often both) and noting that despite their brains they're just as screwed up as everybody else and often more so. I've also noted a fair number of physicians turned monsters have been up for a variety of war crimes tribunals...
Mark:
I've been following the weird coverage of Revlon's Perlman's fight against his former in-laws. He and his late ex-wife sound NUTS. I mean certifiable. It's astounding to me how money has corrupted to such a degree that both of these people sounds completely without scruples and clinically insane. Yet Perlman is acknowledged as a brilliant--eyt ruthless--businessman.
I recently (freelance) worked with a woman most considered brilliant. I consider her--not joking--a sociopath. So I can believe it, I really can.
The "bad guy" in my WIP is actually just time and fate. So there is no real description of red fingernails, etc, just the knowledge of missed opportunities.
Nadine:
Ahh, fate. And time. Relate to both of those. In both good ways and bad.
E
Post a Comment