Your Book: The Job Interview
Applying for a job starts with a company getting scads of resumes. They immediately toss the ones with typos in the resume and that are poorly written into the circular file. Then they start digging it to find a "match" with the company's needs. For argument's sake, let's say 100 resumes come in, 30 get tossed immediately. Of the remaining 70, they narrow it to 20 reasonable candidates that "match" the company's needs. Of those, now there's more intense scrutiny. That's when they'll start noticing the little things. This one's schooling isn't quite a fit. That one has a five-year period of sketchy employment. Now they have 8 candidates. They get called for an interview--phone only. Right away, two just sound unqualified or not confident. One stammers, badly. Okay, they have five. They're all brought in for interviews. Three are eliminated--one because he bombs the interview, the other two because the "feel" isn't right . . . they don't seem like a match for the office. TWO candidates remain. Of those final two, the person interviewing says . . . "Why you? Tell me why I should hire you?"
So . . . your book.
Why you?
You have to sell your book (pitch), and you have to write well. But there has to be some "star" quality, especially today. Something that makes an editor/agent pause and think, "Hmmmm . . . I haven't heard that before." Because the editor/agent has to make THEIR case for your book to their higher-ups, just as the final job candidate will need to be vetted.
It's not enough to be competent. It's not enough that you write pretty sentences. It's not enough that you're clever.
So why you? Why your book? WHY should we hire YOU?

23 comments:
'cuz I'm cute.
Mark:
Good enough reason for me. :-)
I'm persistent: so I won't quit when faced with a slump.
I learn from my mistakes: still doesn't mean I can please everyone.
I write slowly because I think deeply.
And my coffee is closer to syrup than tea.
Why me? Because my characters are absolutely sure that they are sane individuals living out their lives under the scrutiny of a completely insane world.
If they are sane, then I as their creator am a rational person. Therefore, my decisions are rational. as a result my decision that I am their perfect choice is a rational decision. And we all know how rational the publishing industry is.
just my thoughts... awp
Richmond:
That last quality . . . you're hired.
E
Allen:
Yes. A very rational industry. ;-)
Umm... why are you making me think first thing in the morning? ;)
I'd hope my story has an original voice and intriguing story. We shall see.
I applied for a job yesterday and within an hour I received a google alert for my name. Hopefully that's a good sign.
Melanie:
Good luck!!!
E
I just sold my first two books a week and a half ago, and damned if I know. I think they are rich, exciting, thoughtful reads, but quite a few people didn't agree (well, they didn't say they hated them, but they didn't buy them, either), until one person did (my new editor).
Congratulations Melanie!!
I've long thought of my query as the cover letter for my resume and the first pages of my book as being an audition.
I got a great rejection, very specific, yesterday from an editor. She liked the action and characters but the plot didn't grab her. It confirmed something I've long thought about that book. I'm going to give it a few more chances and then I'm going to send it to lower-echelon presses. Not that I don't think the book has star quality (I do) but I think I'm getting a handle on what the mainstream industry wants, and especially what it doesn't want.
Unfortunately, I think they're leaving a gap between them and the readers, but nothing to do about that.
MICHELLE!!!!!!!!!!!
AWESOME NEWS!!!!!
I'm Michelle's CP, and I can tell you that she sold her books because they're brilliant! Great writing, great story, great characters.
I'm hoping that my book has all that too.
Interesting way to look at it. I shall bear that in mind.
Also, having done corporate recruiting, I can say you have sussed out the process remarkably accurately. But I'd never have taken someone out of the running for something like stuttering.
Edie:
I just think that's awesome news!
E
Wrytten:
Poor choice of words--I mean someone who can't really answer the questions, stammering (not a stutter or disability) . . . someone who does not interview well and can't hold it together in that regard/draws blanks.
E
Congrats Michelle!
Based on the results of a recent survey, I've decided to change the monsters in my story. Instead of creatures from outer space, they are now demons from darkest hell.
I'm going to scare you yet, Ms. Orloff. ;)
Jude:
What survey?
E
The one I did on Facebook, of course. Hehe.
Jude:
Have you had anyone beta-read it?
It's not even close to being finished. Check your website email, see what you think...
Darn. Mark stole my answer.
Why me? Because I'm willing to work twice as hard at it for half the pay ... and I'm not above sleeping my way to the top (sorry, honey).
Jude, doesn't that fundamentally mess with your story to change your monster like that? Are the mechanics the same (incubating in turkeys, etc.)? Or are you looking at a whomping rewrite *shiver for you*?
A whomping rewrite, Jon, but it's not that bad because I'm only 60 pages into it.
Thanks, Erica, and Edie (smooch), and Jude. :)
I'm still pretty dazed by the whole thing.
Post a Comment