Hot and Cold
When I start the shower for Demon Baby, there is a process that occurs of Ninja Water Testing. Too cold, too hot, just a little too hot, just a little too cold . . . just right. And then, once he is IN the shower and acclimated to the water . . . we might have some adjusting. It's as if he knows to within a degree what temperature he likes. And I can say with fair certainty, it's at about the same temperature each time.
So it is with my house. Like a raving lunatic, I will scream and know when Oldest Daughter has raised the temperature on the thermostat a SINGLE degree. (She thinks it's too cold.) In summer, I have tried and tried with various energy-saving adjustments on my A/C, but the fact remains I need it at a certain temperature and not ONE degree hotter. Or colder. And I ALWAYS know--in how I fall asleep or in how comfortable I am at my desk, when SOMEONE (she shall remain nameless) messes with it!
Somehow, I think this internal thermostat applies to writing and reading. We seem to find our tastes, and when we settle in to write, we have some internal meter that tells us we've got something. We know when a scene is just a bit off. We know when we have landed in that temperature zone that signals the perfect spot.
Over time, the temperature swings aren't so wide. It's not ten degrees off, but one. But that ONE degree can be the difference between a sweaty house of meh, and perfection (or close to it). There are so many "almosts."
In my work-in-progress, I think I am in my temperature zone. It's a nice spot to be in. What's exciting is my beta stared at me over coffee and said, "This is it." Though I think he thinks I keep my house too cold.
What about you? Do you have that temperature zone zeroed in?

26 comments:
I think so. When something I've written nags at me, I know something is wrong even if others tell me it's good. I might try to slide it by and rely on their opinions but it niggles and niggles at me till I fix it. And I'm with you on the temperature of the house -- I don't like anyone fiddling with the thermostat and can always tell when they have.
I've mentioned listening to the little voice in my head that indicates things might be off (or just right). Thanks for today's post. I didn't know what to write, but I got a good bounce off this.
Now, temperature-wise, my office is in the basement and this time of year, even with the space heater on, it's pretty chilly. So I turn up the temp on the house, which annoys my wife. But she's at work, not trying to work with a floor temperature of 62 (optimistically) and a room temp of 65 when the upstairs is 68.
Colleen:
Sometimes I can't quite put my finger on what bugs me in a scene. Thank GOD for my critique group.
E
Mark:
Funny . . . since my thyroid went wonky this fall, my hands are freezing (less so now that I am on medication). I considered getting fingerless gloves for precisely that reason . . . it just felt COLD to me as I sit in one spot all day typing. And 62 is COLD, Mark!!! For sleeping it might be OK, but working?!
E
OK, this is all about thermostats. In the summer and winter I know if the temperature is above or below my comfort zone. And the comfort zone is the same temp all year round. 70 degrees. I know if it's 69 in here and I know if it's 72. I woke up at 3 am the other day and knew it had dipped - but couldn't do a thing about it as it was negative gazillion (or -7) outside and the temp just wasn't going above 68. Also, one side of my house is warmer than the other, which makes for loving lots of blankets and sleeping with socks and typing with my leopard snuggie.
I'll think about the writing part. :)
Cold feet. I got some nice warm slippers for Christmas, though.
I know when something's just a hair off, and I just wish it was was as easy to fix as it is to adjust the thermostat.
Since being in Michigan for the past month I've realized 72 is the perfect temp for me. If only I could achieve that in Mexico. There, anything over 86 means I won't be getting any work done.
My temperature zone changes. I'm one of those always cold people... I'll wear a sweater in the house even when the thermostat is just fine and I'm liable to wear a light jacket outside when everyone else is wearing shorts... buuut, if I gain weight (and not a lot of weight, I'll go up and down between 5 to 10 pounds) when I go up in weight my temperature comfort level changes, and I don't get cold so easy... or you know, maybe I'm just getting old and that's my version of hot flashing.
Writing is the same way (lest you think I'm just on some wonky body temp. tear). I was getting pretty comfortable with my middle grade voice, knew the temperature variation, knew how to adjust or how many sweaters I'd need... then switching to YA, whole new comfort zone. This one I slid right into, but then I'll hit places where...yeah, it's off, but I can't tell why... I can go back twelve times (and do) am I too hot or too cold? Don't know yet.. I think, like middle grade, I'll figure it out with more work in the voice.
As Randy on American Idol might say, "It was a little pitchy, dawg. Something...I don't know...I liked it but I didn't love it..."
(season 10 is coming up, eh?)
A little pitchy meaning slightly out of tune in places, of course, to use a different metaphor to the same effect.
I think we usually can tell when a scene is off key a bit. A little sharp here, a little flat there. That's where tweaking comes in. Now, if it's WAY out of tune, it might be time for a different singer.
Or furnace.
That is, it might be time to scrap the scene altogether.
I know when the writing is good enough to encourage people to help me. I've found when the writing is awful they politely tell me things because it's part of the critique group forum. When it is close they're spontaneous. Also when it is off everyone picks something different. When it is close they're almost echoing each other.
My guess is that your instinct for good and meh has been honed by all the feedback you've had over the years. You hear them even when they are no longer there.
Amy:
LOL! I like my house at 68 for sleeping, but my family insists on 71 and I open the windows.
E
I've spent some time away from SCAR and I know it's off in several places. But there is one place I perused, just a small line that's the perfect temp.
Trinidad and Castile are escaping and they have to steal horses to do it (well, they leave a trade in batteries). The enemy's on their heels, they've just lost one of their party, they have an injured tagalong that's going to slow them down but Trinidad insists they take her to safety, even if it costs them their lives.
Castile leads a horse over to Trinidad and says, "Sorry. I couldn't find you a white one."
THAT line sums up Castile's character and his relationship with Trinidad. Perfect temp.
Melanie:
I prefer the cold than heat.
E
Thank GOD for my critique group -- YES!
One of my critters told me, "Don't do anything about it right now, but I have a hunch this story is running long, a little slow in places, like here and here?"
YES! She put words exactly on what what bugging me.
Merry:
My voice shifts some . . . then I find a new "zone" for that new voice.
E
Jude:
I started a scene and it wasn't working at all. I dumped it and started again with a different POV and now it's pitch perfect (I hope).
E
My house temperature: 63 degrees at night-- 65/66 during the day. And I don't get a good night's sleep if someone messes with it. I give my guests a room with their own thermostat.
With my writing--I know when things aren't working. But what to do to make it work--to warm the writing up into that perfect zone is sometimes a struggle. I blame it on my lack of experience. And it makes me not want to rush to the whole agent querying stage, since I like my novels, and I want to give them a decent shot at being published. I'm the only thing standing in their way. LOL.
Picky about this in writing, definitely.
In camper world, I have no control over the temperature. We have a heater, but the walls are maybe 3/16 of an inch thin? So when it's 28-35 out, it's gotta be about 45-55 inside. It's warm under the covers, but still. And then it heats up to 73 during the day. Funny weather in the desert.
I agree with Jude.
However, I'm clear that I can just operate in any condition and pound things out. Most of what I write needs to go through the editing mill and get cleaned up there so getting it just right out of the gate isn't that important to me (yet). I'm fairly sure as I grow as a writer that will change.
Great analogy, Erica. Never really thought of it in those terms, but it totally makes sense. When my temperature is "off" nothing feels right. Sometimes just going back and "readusting" something previously written will take care of the problem. Sometimes not. Takes a little while before I figure out what's wrong.
Thanx for the visual.
Richmond:
Hmm . . . you know, that is a really astute observation.
E
Starbucks:
I couldn't make it without mine.
Heather:
I think rushing the querying stage is a huge mistake . . . so take your time.
On the flip side, I know people too paralyzed by the thought of rejection that they never GET to the querying stage.
E
Natasha:
I guess it's always an adventure, right?
E
Brian:
Me, too. I have to write in chaos, so I can't wait for perfect conditions.
Liz:
Thanks for visiting. :-)
Post a Comment